To assist your organisation to improve consumer and community participation policies and practice; to identify a broad range of opportunities for participation; to assess and develop your organisation’s commitment and capacity to involve and support consumers and communities in a range of planning, implementation, and evaluation activities.
National Resource Centre for Consumer Participation in Health. Organisational self-assessment and planning tool for consumer and community participation : a tool for organisations involved in health policy and education National Resource Centre for Consumer Participation in Health [Bundoora, Vic.] 2003
We provide a five-point rating for each of the following four criteria:
- Scientific Rigour: Was the development of the evaluation tool scientifically rigorous and based on existing evidence on patient and public engagement?
- Patient and Public Perspective: Does the evaluation tool take into account the views of patients and the public (both in its development and use)?
- Comprehensiveness: Is the tool comprehensive in evaluating the context, process, outcomes and impacts of patient and public engagement?
- Usability: Is the evaluation tool easy to use?
Each criterion has 5 question-items. We gave 1 point per item if the answer to the question was YES, 0 points if the answer was NO or CANNOT ANSWER.
- Is the evaluation tool based on a comprehensive literature review on patient and public engagement research?
- Is the evaluation tool based on the experience/expertise of key stakeholders?
- Is the evaluation tool based on a conceptual/theoretical framework of patient and public engagement?
- Was the evaluation tool tested for validity (i.e., the tool evaluates what it is purported to evaluate)?
- Was the evaluation tool tested for reliability (i.e., the tool produces stable and consistent results)?