To track the impact of public involvement in research in this sample from project inception through to completion where possible and, at a minimum, for complete stages of the research process (design, recruitment, data collection, analysis, dissemination). Identify the desired outputs and outcomes of public involvement in research in the sample from multiple stakeholder perspectives (e.g. members of the public, researchers, research managers).
Wilson, Patricia, et al. “ReseArch with Patient and Public invOlvement: a RealisT evaluation–the RAPPORT study.” (2015).
Evans, David, et al. “Public involvement in research: assessing impact through a realist evaluation.” (2014).
Online Survey: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0081028/
Sample daily log sheet for research partners*: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0080898/
* Tools can be found in Appendix 1
We provide a five-point rating for each of the following four criteria:
- Scientific Rigour: Was the development of the evaluation tool scientifically rigorous and based on existing evidence on patient and public engagement?
- Patient and Public Perspective: Does the evaluation tool take into account the views of patients and the public (both in its development and use)?
- Comprehensiveness: Is the tool comprehensive in evaluating the context, process, outcomes and impacts of patient and public engagement?
- Usability: Is the evaluation tool easy to use?
Each criterion has 5 question-items. We gave 1 point per item if the answer to the question was YES, 0 points if the answer was NO or CANNOT ANSWER.
- Is the evaluation tool based on a comprehensive literature review on patient and public engagement research?
- Is the evaluation tool based on the experience/expertise of key stakeholders?
- Is the evaluation tool based on a conceptual/theoretical framework of patient and public engagement?
- Was the evaluation tool tested for validity (i.e., the tool evaluates what it is purported to evaluate)?
- Was the evaluation tool tested for reliability (i.e., the tool produces stable and consistent results)?